Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Sling Shots - Kamikaze




I go to Donkey (Don Quijote) at least once a week, because they have discounts on tissue, toilet paper, paper towels and Doritos. They also have a large liquor section, some of which is right next to the door, where kids walk by to get into the shop (Japan isn't as stiff-necked about isolating minors from adult reality). A few months ago, I noticed these little cup cylinder packs on the shelf next to the snack chips, and eventually my curiosity got the best of me. They're mostly colorful cocktail shots, like Fuzzy Navel, Sex on the Beach, etc. This one is supposedly for the Kamizake.



The packaging is interesting, but also misleading. At least 30% of the cup is empty plastic. The drink itself also tastes a little like plastic. It's about 1 liquid ounce. It's not a true Kamikaze, either, since the classic recipe is equal parts vodka, Triple Sec and lime juice. This is just Triple Sec and some lime liquor. I guess the idea is to throw it into the freezer, take it out after a couple hours, take off the lid and then shoot it straight from the cup.

The thing about the cup is that it has a spiral separator in the middle keeping the two flavors apart. There are three cups for 600 yen (about $1.80 US apiece). I tried the first cup as a shooter, and the spiral shape always traps part of one flavor in the corner of the twist. So, I poured the other two cups into a larger glass, to get all the liquid out, and then drank that mixed together. Meh. Not that much alcohol, and it's really just cheap sugared syrup. Not worth the money. I'm better off getting the real liquors and making the drinks myself.

No comments: