Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Barugai, Oct. 20, 2018




I'd been seeing advertising posters all around Tenmonkan and up by the train station, for "Barugai" for months. I have no idea what this is supposed to be. The sign says that this is the 8th one they've done, and the wine glasses at the top imply that they are something related to food, and/or restaurants ("gai" is "street", and "baru" might be "bar"; so, "bar street?") The pamphlets on the nearby tables contained area maps, so maybe that's what this is about. Anyway, I got to Temonkan at 1:30 PM on my way to the English school on Saturday, and the stage was set up, but nothing was supposed to start for at least another hour. The big blow-up drink can at the edge of the stage is for Ukon, an anti-hangover drink made from tumeric. It's very popular in Japan, and they were supposed to give away 300 cans for free at 3 PM. I missed that.



My 7 PM class got cancelled, so I got back out and passed back through Barugai a little after that. By then, all the stage stuff was done, and the tables that had held the Ukon cans were long gone. I wish I'd taken photos of them when I'd had the chance. All that was left was a table where people sold "Barugai tickets" and walking maps for $8. I don't normally eat at the restaurants in the red light district (which is where most of the dots on the map were) so I didn't bother getting a Barugai packet.

Another "blink and you miss it moment," brought to you by the guy that keeps blinking.

No comments: