Sunday, February 21, 2021

Snow Cap




We had snow last Thursday. At least, I'm told we did, in some of the higher-lying areas. I got to the English school at 4:30 that afternoon, when it was raining, and Sakurajima was lost in cloud. One of my students that evening told me she'd seen the mountain, and the top half was solid white. When I got out, it was dark and I still couldn't see anything.



The weather was perfect Friday morning, but I couldn't get to a good place for taking pictures until later in the afternoon. What little I could see of the top of Sakurajima was just rock - most of the snow had already burned off. The photos above were taken as I was walking into the school again at 3:30.



I couldn't get to Waterfront Park until after the lesson ended, at 4:30 PM. Even in the hour between photos, the loss of snow is measurable. The weather continued warming up, and by Saturday almost all the snow was gone, except what little was hiding in the shadows.

Sigh.

No comments: