Monday, September 30, 2019

Blink and you missed it, for September

Shinto Ceremony Thing


Ok, on the 25th last week, I was walking through Tenmonkan on my way to the school for a mid-afternoon lesson. As I was nearing the Lotteria burger shop, I heard the ringing of a bell and someone hitting a drum. Then there was a smattering of applause. I got to the corner of the intersection where I had a clear view of the open area, just as someone in bright orange robes and a mask of some sort (tiger, or demon?) disappeared into the dressing tent next to the stage.



The Shinto priests playing the instruments off to the right of the space got up to walk to the stage, and everyone else stood to leave. No idea what I missed.



Kodawari Fair, Friday-Sunday


This isn't the full name in Japanese, but the English translation is roughly "Product Maker's Specialty Products Fair" (Kodawari is "obsession", "determination", "specialty"). I hadn't seen anything about this on the Amu Plaza events page, and didn't know it was happening until I had to go to Bic Camera (on the other side of the train station) Friday afternoon to buy printer ink.



The shops sold green tea, shochu, fruits and syrups. Nothing I wanted to buy, though.



There was a small live stage, but for Friday and Saturday, the events were largely interviews with shop owners for why you should buy their products, and a few mascot shows. I guess there was some music or something, too, but no one I recognized by name from the schedule. Nothing was happening on the stage while I was there on Friday, and I had to work all Saturday. The schedule showed that there was supposed to be something on Sunday, but no times. I found myself stuck in the apartment, trying to set up a new Windows 10 PC, which ended up wasting the entire afternoon. I didn't get out until 5 PM Sunday, and by then all the tables were being torn down.

Sigh.

No comments: