Monday, September 27, 2021

Matahibachi




Matahibachi is a traveling nonsense theater troupe based in Kyoto. They're similar to one that I saw in Kagoshima a few years ago, but I don't have their name recorded anywhere for tracking them down now. I've never heard of Matahibachi before, and didn't know that they were in town until Friday.



I saw the trailer in Central park Friday afternoon, but it wasn't being set up until Saturday. I had plans for Saturday evening, and forgot to swing by the park again Sunday afternoon.



So, I wasn't able to get times or ticket prices in advance. Then, after dinner, I remembered them, and immediately ran to the park to try to get a few photos.



I arrived at about 8 PM, and the show had started at 7 PM. I was a little concerned about attracting attention and getting booted for taking pictures without paying for a ticket, but no one bothered me while I was there. Tickets were 2,500 yen ($22 USD) for adults, less for seniors and school kids. It looked like the bench seating only holds 20 people, and that maybe they were sold out. So, maybe I never had a chance to watch them myself, to start with.



What I saw certainly was silly.



Maybe next time.

No comments: