Saturday, December 15, 2018

Self-Loading Loader




This really should be a Small Adventure story. You know those Facebook or youtube videos of "trade professionals acting like professionals?" Such as with one forklift picking up a second forklift to load a large crate into a big semi trailer? Well, I was walking along Streetcar Street, when I saw this little scoop loader driving along the sidewalk on the other side of the street, heading away from a building demolition site. I was thinking, "That looks cute," but I declined to take my camera out for photos of it. The next thing I know, the loader is lining up with the back of the flatbed truck, and the operator is lowering the scoop down onto the bed of the truck to the point where the front end of the loader starts lifting up. At this point, it's too late to pull out the camera, and I just stop where I am to watch this.

The operator continues to lift the front end of the loader up so that the front of the treads sit on the open trailer door, and he scoots himself forward a bit to prop himself in place. He swivels the cab 180 degrees to face down the other direction, and the loader looks to be a little too precarious - I was afraid that it was going to roll over and go full-turtle on him. But he got the arm leveraged forward enough so that when he pushed the scoop down on the street, he succeeded in lifting the other end of the treads up level with the flatbed, and neatly drove into his final position in the middle of the back of the truck, before using the scoop to pull the trailer door up and closed. Very sweet, very neat.

And I'll probably never get a chance to see something like this happen again in my lifetime.

No comments: