Sunday, April 10, 2022

Update 3

 Ok, I gave up on waiting for the police to contact me and say someone turned in my pocket camera, and decided on Sunday that I would commit and go to Yamada Denki (Electronics) to buy a replacement. Most of the current Canon cameras are between 40,000 yen and 70,000 yen ($400 to $700 USD) and are "special" simply because they're 4K. I don't need high resolution - I need large zoom factors (x40), while the remaining 4K cameras are only x3 or x4. So, I just want another Powershot SX 720 HS, although all I'd been able to find recently has been the SX 740 HS.

I went to Bic Camera first to confirm the 54,540 yen price for the 740, and check whether it included the 10% sales tax or not. They had the camera 2 weeks ago, but I couldn't find it anywhere this time. So, I went to Yamada next, and while they had a 740 display unit out on the counter for 48,000 yen (before tax), the salesman told me they had nothing in stock in ANY of their stores country-wide, and the computer showed a one-month wait time on special orders. Sigh.

Amazon.co.jp shows one seller listing just the 740 camera (no memory card, battery or recharger) for 58,000 yen, and a second with some accessories at 59,000 yen. I'm not happy with either listing.

I'm going to try checking with one of the few camera-specific shops in Kagoshima to see if anyone carries good pocket cameras, and if they do I'll try to get there some time within the next week. This is really restrictive because I either have to get there on foot, or by bus, and the nearest big shopping mall is at least 10 miles away. Otherwise, I'll have to bite the bullet and order the camera from the more expensive option online. Double-sigh.

====

Regardless, it looks like the Canon SX line has been phased out. I checked the Edion store website, and they don't have anything, either. Going back to Amazon.jp, I realized that my camera had actually been a SX720 HS, not a 740. The main difference between the two seems to be that the 740 has a movable display screen and the 720 has a fixed screen. I'm finding the 720 at Amazon with battery and charger for 40,000 yen. I may have a spare memory card, otherwise I can get one easy enough from Bic. But, what a pain.

No comments: