Sunday, January 9, 2022

Break dancing




I went up to Amu Plaza on Sunday, and as I approached I could hear loud rap music. Then I discovered a big crowd on the plaza in front of the department store watching some break dancers on a small stage. I couldn't tell if this was a dance-off, of just some studio putting on a free show. The space was packed, so I couldn't get around to the back for a better view, or to find out who they were. The guy in front was dancing by himself, while the others looked on. He'd pop a simple move and the crowd would applaud wildly. Yes, he's on a crutch and can't be expected to do anything elaborate, but overall it was just boring.



40-50 feet away was the guitar duo Good Moon. They were doing their best to keep from being drowned out by the bigger PA speakers, but it wasn't the kind of music I care about.



Their faces look fuzzy because they have plastic shields mounted behind the mikes. They weren't completely ignored - two of their friends were dancing nearby.

No comments: