Monday, April 15, 2019

Hotto Motto Doraemon Bento Box




A couple days ago, I wrote about the promo tie-in between the Hotto Motto bento shop and the latest Doraemon movie. Well, I'd been eying the Dokodemo (Anywhere) Door papercraft, and 450 yen ($4 USD) for the kid's meal seemed like a reasonable price for it. Then, about last Friday, Hotto Motto switched campaigns and the Doraemon banners disappeared from the front of the shop near my apartment. However, they still had extras of the kid's meal boxes and the papercraft sheets. So, on Sunday I decided I'd get one of the kid's meals along with the regular rice bowls I wanted for dinner that night.



The food part of the meal is just marginal. The little bit of corn and potato salad were good, but way too small for serving sizes. The breaded shrimp and chicken bits were ok, too. The curry rice was too sweet and watery-tasting and the rice itself was starchy and slightly undercooked. The caramel pudding was downright bad. Most of the really young kids this thing is aimed at wouldn't care, though. Unfortunately, the plastic packaging is fairly flimsy and not really designed for washing and reuse, meaning that there's a huge amount of waste trash here.



This is the part I wanted, though.



While I was waiting for the bento to be made, I talked to the store manager. He commented on how challenging the Dokodemo Door was to put together. I have to agree. There are a lot of tricky little folds that need to be made to keep the door frame from disassembling by itself over time, but to still let the door to fully close and smoothly open. This is a project for adults.



The finished toy is about 3" tall and maybe 3/8" thick. It's small and fiddly to work with. I think, in total, it took me an hour to complete (although, I wasn't timing myself).



The little stand to the right is used to support the door when it's open.



Doraemon and the Moon Bunnies.



The papercraft also came with a sheet of stickers. I think I'll take the Door and sticker sheet to the school I teach at and see what the reaction is. The school has a bunch of Doraemon manga, and that's really popular with the kids waiting for their lessons to start.

No comments: