Friday, January 14, 2022

Small Adventure - Recharge

I was at 7-11 the other evening, trying to get to the counter to buy a paper cup that I could take to one of the coffee machines to self-fill, then drink on my way to the school for teaching lessons. The guy in front of me had 280 yen of snacks ($2.50 USD). He wanted to pay for his purchases with an e-money card, but discovered that he had 0 yen on it. He asked the clerk if he could charge the card in the store, and she answered "Yes, but you have to do it at the ATM in the far corner." The guy then took out the change in his pocket, put it back in, looked at his wallet, took out a Paypay card, and asked if he could use that. The clerk said "yes," and he followed this up with, "I'd like to use my Paypay card to recharge my e-money card." The clerk then said, "You have to do it at the ATM in the far corner." This exchange was still going on when a second clerk came up and manned his register, gave me my cup, I got my coffee from the machine, and left the store. I don't think the customer ever did figure out how to recharge his card.

No comments: