Monday, October 14, 2019

Curry Festa, Oct. 13




After the misunderstanding over the nonexistent Ramen Oh thing last week, I was taken by surprised when I was walking past Central Park on Friday and saw the banner up for the Curry Festa. I'm not a big fan of this one, because the curries I've had in past years weren't that great, and they were too expensive. But, I was still tempted.



I checked out the big restaurant map, and two of the tables had already canceled because of a massive typhoon predicted to hit the Kansai region over the weekend (it missed Kagoshima, but tore up parts of Honshu Saturday through Sunday).



The event ran Saturday and Sunday. I was scheduled to have classes at the school all day Saturday, but I did make a point of getting out of the apartment early so I could swing by the Road of Light and Sound event nearby, and get back to the park on my way to Maruya Gardens to get the newspaper on my way in. At the time, the stage event was just a PR promo for curry, showing the kinds of spices used in Japanese curries. There were maybe 5 people watching, and 100-200 at the tables at the other end of the park getting something to eat.


(He looks so happy to be helping out.)

Fortunately, the schedule for both days was next to the stage, and the only musical act I cared at all about was Bon DX, set to start at 11 AM Sunday. I took a few pictures for the blog and got the newspaper before going to the school to start my day.



Prices were in the $5-$8 dollar range for a small bowl. I resisted, partly because I've been told I'm on a diet. When I got to the school, I learned that my final class for the day had been canceled. I got out at 5 PM, and the tables were already closed, and the stage empty. I continued to the Road of Light and Sound event, and that was fun for a while. At the end, I went home for dinner, worked on the computer, and tried to go to bed early so I could be back here for the music.



I got up at 9:30 AM Sunday, got through everything I needed done for the morning, and got out of the apartment a little after 10:30. When I reached the park, Bon DX was already on stage and in full swing. I checked the schedule, and it said they weren't supposed to begin until 11:10. When the song ended, Bon told the audience that this was just a rehearsal.



But, the MC got on the mike and announced that the set was going to start now, although it was still a little soon (10:50). I was happy I got there when I did, then. I got a lot of my still photos during the warm-up.



2-3 of the songs were new (I'd heard them on the radio before, but I'd hadn't recorded them live before this. Check out the videos below.) I recorded the new songs, and just enjoyed listening to the older ones (and also used the time to take more pictures. I had a total of 350 photos for the weekend.)















I had fun. When the set was over, I said "Hi" to Bon, then headed up to Amu Plaza to check out the Japan Rail (JR) travel event going on there. It was a nice day in my part of the world.


Direct link, video 1


Direct link, video 2

No comments: