Friday, October 18, 2019

Keishi Matsumoto Trio




Back in September, I wrote about seeing Keishi (KC) in the lobby of the Tokyu Rei Hotel when he was between sets during a buffet dinner show. He's the organizer of the 2-day Kagoshima Jazz Festival in September, and I'd first bumped into him when he was in the beer line getting Shiroyama hotel craft beer for some of the stage crew. We talked a bit then, and he remembered me a couple weeks later when I walked into the Rei to say "hi." He told me that he was going to have a show with his own Trio at Caparvo Hall in October, and suggested that I go see him play his own music then, rather than just playing as a sideman for some other singer or sax player.



I thought about it in the weeks leading up to the 17th, and when I knew that I wasn't going to be working that Thursday night, I got a ticket in advance from Juu Cross music store (3000 yen in advance, 3,500 yen at the door, 112 yen = $1 USD). Caparvo is about a 5 minute walk from the apartment, so I finished my one lesson at 6 PM, got home, changed clothes, and doubled-back to the Hall. The venue was the SR Factory on the 8th floor. I was doing ok when I flashed my ticket, but the doorman said something I had trouble understanding. Eventually, I realized I was being told I had to pay an extra 600 yen for a mandatory drink ticket that was excluded from the ticket price. At that point, I was becoming unhappy with the entire thing. I got into the hall, which is not much larger than a regular bar with a live stage, got a small beer from the refreshments counter for my 600 yen, and got as far up to the stage as I could (second row). Seating was just standard folding chairs and were not at all comfortable.



The first set started, and the music was ok, but kind of slow. Eventually, it picked up, and got better. The first set ran about 50 minutes, then went into a break. When the second set was about to start, a woman came on the PA and made some announcements. One of which was that it was ok to use cameras and to upload lots of photos to sharing sites. I wish I'd known that an hour ago. After that, the second set started, and the music was much more lively. I took a good 80 photos, about 10 of which really turned out at all well. Keishi played a number of jazz standards (i.e. - Fly Me to the Moon), and some of his own stuff off of his albums. His third CD just came out, and this show was intended to promote it.



The show ended at close to 9:45, and I was in a much better mood. There was an encore, then everyone shuffled out to the lobby, to get signed CDs and t-shirts. I hung back, hoping to say "hi" to Keishi again. During that time, I ended up talking to the bass player (he was the only one without anything to sell, and he'd lived in Dallas for several years, so his English was good). The bass player introduced me to their teacher, who had lived in L.A. for a few years and could also speak English well. Eventually, I found out the teacher is also a recording engineer who had recorded Keishi's new CD, a studio owner, and a drum teacher at Juu Cross (same place Nonki teaches guitar). That was fun.



I did get to say "hi" to Keishi, then I went home for dinner. It was a good night overall. Keishi played really well, especially since he'd just broken a bone in his left hand and it had just been splinted up.

No comments: