Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Wonda Lupin Cans, Gold and Red




I wrote in the entry on Children's Day and the JR Travel event that I'd talked myself into getting more of the Wonda can coffee cans with the Lupin III artwork, and the process of hitting 8 different Lawson konbini within a 1 mile radius to track down the rest of the set. The following day, I went to 2 more Lawson's in the same area, looking specifically for the one can I was missing -  Red Morning Shot #12, but they didn't have it. I visited the Lawson's store finder page, and zoomed out, there were over 20 markers in and around Tenmonkan. Zooming in, the numbers go down a bit, but it's still between 12 and 15 that I can reach in 20 minutes or so. Regardless, there's one last location I want to hit, by Yamada electronics store, and then I'll scale my search back (Edit: I went there yesterday. They had the Lupin III gold cans, but their Morning Shot cans weren't part of the campaign.).



The Wonda campaign page has a display of all of the cans (4 at a time) in both the Red and Gold series. What I didn't notice right away is that #11 and #12 for both sets are marked "Rare." If that's really the case, I've been lucky in getting everything but red #12 so easily. The thing is, that one has what's arguably the best artwork for Fujiko, and I can see why it may not have stayed on the shelves like all the others have. I'm not sure if the stores restock when inventory gets low. As mentioned before, not everyone carries the same brands (one place may not have either line, while another has only the red cans, another only gold, and yet another has some of both). I can try revisiting the places I know have Morning Shot, and hope I get lucky. Or, if I feel brave and no one else is in the shop, I may try asking the clerk if they have #12 in the back somewhere.



Otherwise, it's just a matter of waiting. The campaign ends November 11, and I have 23 of the 25 points needed to enter the drawing for the Monkey Punch art. I also have 14 cans of coffee in a box, waiting for me to get to them. When I have them out of the way, I'll probably just buy two more cans at random, if I can't find #12, just to qualify for the drawing and get that out of my system.



One more thing I want to mention is the silliness behind the idea of "rare cans." Outside of the better artwork for Fujiko, there's nothing special about them. The stickers on the cans are worth only 1 point, no matter how rare they are. It takes more hunting at more konbini to find the rare cans, but that just means you're wasting more time visiting other stores and sorting through the cooler cases with the door open longer (and wasting more gas if you drive there). It doesn't mean you're spending more money at those stores. You really can't collect the cans, so there's little point in finding one and selling it at a markup on E-Bay. The only rationale I can see for having 24 cans, 4 of which are harder to find, is to give you something to do as you're accumulating the 25 points for the litho drawing, if you're obsessive-compulsive.





Note that not all of the cans have backside art, especially Fujiko's #11 and #12.







I took the pictures for the gold series as I found the cans, so they were out of sequence. I pretty much found all of the red cans all in the same day, which made it easier to shoot them in order.





I seriously considered running these photos one can per day, as kind of a 24 Days of Christmas thing, but that felt like too much work, and I didn't need to build up my backlog that badly.











Some of these cans, like #9 and #10, have artwork so wide that it takes two photos to show all of it.




(Monkey Punch gets canned.)



No comments: