Friday, October 30, 2020

Stupid bad luck

 As mentioned a couple days ago, events are starting back up in Kagoshima, and my luck just is not getting any better. Last evening (Friday), I had a class in the school from 7 to 7:30 PM. Just as the lesson started, there was this series of loud, fast booms from outside the building. It quickly became pretty obvious that the city was shooting off some serious fireworks, but we couldn't see any of it from where we were (best guess is that the launch site was a quarter-mile away at waterfront park, where Dolphin Port used to be). The student wanted to ditch the lesson to watch the fireworks, but that wasn't really an option. I convinced him to wait until the lesson ended, but the display wrapped up right at 7:30, too. Sigh.

Afterward, I asked the owner of the school what the fireworks had been for, since I'd hadn't heard any advertising for it in advance. He told me that it was the city's way of showing appreciation for the staffs of the hospitals tending to Covid-19 patients. That's cool, but since the big August fireworks event had been cancelled this year because of Covid, I really wish I could have seen the one last night...

No comments: