Sunday, July 21, 2019

South African Food and Wine Matsuri




The Springboks rugby team is going to have its training camp in Kagoshima. To celebrate, a few of the Japanese sponsors put on what they called a "South African" food and wine fest on Saturday. The foods were largely steaks and sausages from the Steak and Beer restaurant located in Amu Plaza. I had classes at the English school from 1:30 to 8 PM, with no breaks in the middle, so there really wasn't any opportunity at all for trying out the food, or checking the wine tables to see what they had. There was one table that had sample cups of something set out, and I was really hoping it was coffee (specifically Kilimanjaro). Looking a bit closer, at least half of the display packages were for some kind of teas, and the cups looked like they had tea instead of coffee. I'm not that big of a tea drinker, so I didn't try one of the sample cups (that, and I only had a few minutes to get to the school before the first class would start).



When I got out of the school, I walked over to Central Park to check out the Ogionsa events and didn't pass through this part of Tenmonkan again on Saturday. Sunday, I was in the area to visit Central Park again, and all of the food and drink tables were gone. There was nothing on the sign Saturday saying what the dates were supposed to be, but I guess it was only intended to be a one-day thing. That was extremely disappointing.



Not a lot of interest in the event at 1 PM. I know a few people here that like rugby but it's not as popular a sport in Japan as soccer or baseball. The World Rugby Cup will be held in Yokohama from Sept. 20 to Nov. 2. We'll see if it gets more popular then.

No comments: