Sunday, February 24, 2019

Attaka Dashi, Feb. 23




The weekend wasn't all that great. We had rain on Friday, partly-cloudy skies on Saturday, and rain on Sunday, again. There were only two events that I knew of - Attaka Dashi Matsuri here in Tenmonkan in front of Lotteria, and Tegetege High School up at Amu Plaza.



I think "attaka" is Kagoshima slang for "warm, or hot." "Dashi" is a soup or broth. Dashi is often used when making fish soups. Attaka Dashi Matsuri then is an opportunity for some of the local restaurants to sell their foods to people that want to warm up in the middle of winter. Now, granted, it never got near freezing in Kagoshima this winter, so there's not a lot of compelling reasons to want to eat hot soup outside (or, the hot ramen at Ramen Oh last weekend), but a few people dropped by to try some of the food.



Beyond the soups, there were tables selling tea and shochu, and this truck selling pizza.



At 1 PM, I was on my way to the school to start my first class on Saturday. Not that many people at the time. I did have a break between 4 and 6 PM, but I wanted somewhere I could sit and read manga for 2 hours. Instead of coming back here to eat, I just went to Tully's and drank coffee and had a hot dog. I didn't come back on Sunday for various reasons, so I have no idea if there were more people then. It's nice to see that these events are taking place, because it demonstrates a little bit of "outside culture," but I'm not all that compelled to spend my money on stuff like this, normally.

No comments: