Friday, February 7, 2020

Small Adventure 71


Some months ago, I was just outside the Maruya Gardens department store, at the intersection waiting for the traffic light to change. There was a break in the cross traffic, so the next little bit of movement caught my attention really fast. There was a small brown blur of movement at the edge of my vision, to the right and down by my feet. At first, I thought it was a big mouse or a fat rat. This would have been a remarkable thing, since I've only seen one rat here before, about half a mile away, creeping around the edge of an office building, in the shadows late at night. But, this was in the middle of a bright sunny day.

I was about to jump back and let out a yelp when I looked down.

It was a dead leaf. The human brain is a weird thing.

No comments: