Friday, December 6, 2019

Random Sax Acts




As I was finishing up my photos of the rainbow, I heard saxophone music coming from nearby, but it didn't seem to be from the Kodawari fest behind me. There's a big bus circle in front of Amu, with people standing and waiting in the circle for several of the bus lines. Generally, the idea is to go back to the plaza in front of Amu, take the escalator down to the cross under tunnel, and ride the escalator back to street level in the middle of the circle. But, there was no traffic at that time, so I bypassed the barrier chains and walked across the street to the escalator point directly. There, I found a small stage, table and mixer stand set up and protected from the rain that had just passed.



One guy was on sax, and the other on keyboards, playing John Lennon's "So this is Christmas." There were a few men standing around in black business suits, and a couple women looking like they were part of the group putting on whatever was happening. But, there were no signs explaining what the event was, and no one was wearing name badges identifying their companies. The table had four chairs and 4 switch boxes, making it look like there may have been a quiz panel or judging event earlier, but the table was abandoned by then. The people near me all went to the other end of the table to huddle and whisper among themselves, and when the music stopped, the sax player joked with the sound guy.



No one came up to talk to me, or tell me this was a private event, so I stood there waiting for the next song, taking a few pictures for the blog. Suddenly, a CD started playing, and the keyboard player ran to his keyboard to try to catch up to the song. The sax man joined in immediately, and they went off on a jazz standard that I can't remember. The music was good, but I would have liked to know what was going on.



Not so much that I wanted to stick around and ask. I continued on my way home to process my photos and play more of the game.

No comments: