Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Small Adventure 67


MOS Burger is a national fastfood chain here in Japan. They're the only one I know that serves jalapeno slices on their burgers and hot dogs. There's one store in Tenmonkan that is easy to get to that I'll visit sometimes for a cup of coffee (no free refills) and maybe a burger or fries or something. A few days ago, I wanted something desert-like, so I ordered a "shake." When it comes out to the table, it's a white crushed ice-looking slush dessert in a small glass, and with a straw. I take a sip through the straw, and it tastes like a melting ice milk. Suddenly, that's followed by pine needles. That's a weird effect, and it took my brain a few seconds to register what I'm tasting. I try again, and the pine needle flavor stands out pretty distinctly. I immediately flash to news stories from the past year of workers "accidentally" pouring cleaning chemicals in the food, and I'm trying to figure out how quickly I can get my stomach pumped. But, there's nothing caustic or obviously "chemically" in along with the shake, so maybe it's not tainted with pine-scented floor wax.

I hesitantly try some more of the shake, and other than the pine needle flavor and aroma, it seems to be normal. Eventually, I finish the drink, take my tray and stuff to the drop-off counter, and prepare to leave. There's a big menu sheet on the wall next to the door to the street, and I try looking for the listing for the dessert to see what exactly I got. In English, under the picture, was "Milk and Lavender Shake."

Ok, lavender is NOT a food thing, and I'm not going to order another one, ever. I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like, but I never would have figured it out from the shake itself. 20 minutes later, I was still belching up pine needles.

No comments: