Monday, December 23, 2019

Christmas Music at Starbucks




Back a few years ago, the Tully's coffee shop chain opened a third location in Tenmonkan, on Streetcar Street, near Maruya Gardens. A little after the opening, the place advertised live music one Friday night an hour or so before closing. I got there in time to hear a pretty good rendition of the Lupin III TV theme played on keyboards. Two days ago, I was at the same shop, wondering why there'd never been any more shows like that there. Finally, on Friday, as I was walking home from the English school, I saw a sign advertising live music at 6 PM at the Starbucks four short blocks from that Tully's. Unfortunately, the sign didn't say much about who would be playing, but I did at least want to come back to find out.



I didn't hear the two women introduce themselves. They just started playing Jingle Bells on xylophone and tuba.



No one in the shop could see the tuba player's face; I had to go outside and look through the door for that. Nothing really worth recording, but it was kind of cool that Starbucks was willing to host them.



Few people here have any conception of what "dashing through the snow" means, since Kagoshima doesn't get snow.

No comments: