Sunday, July 8, 2018

Yukata Paradise, July 7, 2018




Saturday was Tanabata (the day in folklore when two lovers in the heavens are allowed to cross the Milky Way and meet one day a year), and the space in Tenmonkan across from Lotteria and Yamakataya was used to host Yukata (evening kimono) Paradise. Half of the event consisted of booths selling food and drinks, the other half revolved around watching the live stage.



My work hours were all wonky this time, with lessons starting at 12:30, and ending at 6 PM. I caught a few seconds of the taiko drum group on the way in. I didn't recognize them, but they were pretty good for what little I heard, and they really worked the crowd well.



Things started with the Satsuma Tenshouryuu (Heaven Soar School) taiko group. This was followed by a fashion show, then The Beatle Nite, a Nanko contest (a Kagoshima bluffing game), the Moses Gospel choir, the Juukichi (Living Good Luck) Troupe, and finally ending with the Tourou Tentoushiki (Lantern Lighting Up Ceremony) at 6:55 PM.



The woman that paints and sells kitsune (fox) masks was clapping and dancing along to the music.





When I got out of work, I wanted to get up to Amu Plaza to look at the Famicom Mini game machine at Bic Camera. I cut through Tenmonkan and caught a few minutes of the Juukichi Troupe. I'm not sure what the story was, but I think it's a Geisha or Miko play about three young women (sisters?) that don't get along.



It had been raining heavily pretty much all day, and the humidity level in Tenmonkan was close to 100%. And, as soon as I'd get home I'd be having dinner. So, I really wasn't in the mood to stand around and watch the play (it had been a long day and I was in the middle of a horrendous allergy attack). Ogionsa is coming up in 2 weeks, and there will be as much festivitting as I can handle then. Nothing going on Sunday, just more rain. A day best spent at home in front of the dehumidifier.

No comments: